While not an explicit section under the HIPAA Privacy Rule - collectively speaking - general safeguards and best practices are discussed and enumerated throughout § 164.500 through § 164.534 through the following examples of verbiage:
- The business associate will appropriately safeguard the information - ¬§ 164.502.
- Use appropriate safeguards to prevent use or disclosure of the information other than as provided for by its contract - § 164.504.
- Use appropriate safeguards to prevent use or disclosure of the information other than as provided for by the data use agreement - § 164.514.
- “A covered entity must reasonably safeguard protected health information” - § 164.530.
- A covered entity must have in place appropriate administrative, technical, and physical safeguards - § 164.530.
- A covered entity must reasonably safeguard protected health information to limit incidental uses or disclosures - § 164.530.
- A covered entity must implement policies and procedures with respect to protected health information - § 164.530.
Download HIPAA Policies and Compliance Toolkits Today
hipaapoliciesandprocedures.com also offers industry leading HIPAA toolkits for both Covered Entities (CE) and Business Associates (BA) consisting of high-quality security policies and procedures, training material, readiness checklists and templates, essential legal forms, a HIPAA specific disaster recovery manual, and so much more. Learn about our industry leading HIPAA compliance toolkits today.